Database Corruption Week 5

Database Corruption Week 5

This week I managed to achieve the goal, however it was not very elegant. Plus the only way I could achieve it was to use a hex editor.

Basically I copied page 9 from the backup, and replaced it in the live version with an editor, which then enabled access to the database in emergency mode. After this I noticed that the missing rows upon repair could be found in the old backup. Both these methods I thought to be a hax. (and thought there must be a clean way to get an online database). I look forward to a prettier solution which hopefully Steve will post this week.I did at first try the method that Steve has posted as the wining solution to week 5, however I could not achieve an attached copy of the database with a missing primary mdf.

“Msg 5173, Level 16, State 1, Line 66
One or more files do not match the primary file of the database. If you are attempting to attach a database, retry the operation with the correct files. If this is an existing database, the file may be corrupted and should be restored from a backup.”

The original database and details for this can be found here:

http://stevestedman.com/server-health/database-corruption-challenge/week-5-database-corruption-challenge/week-5-challenge-details/

 

Update 24 May 2015.

Well Steve posted his alternative solution and it basically mirrors mine. (doh.. should have submitted). Anyway here is link: http://stevestedman.com/2015/05/week-5-alternate-solution/

Anyway it looks like the attach solution is very much environment specific so good luck if you are trying to get it to work. Please post any tips to getting it to work, it might be worth setting up a vm and mirror exactly the environment from the winning solution.

Leave a Reply