Here is a quick post for the recommended patches to deploy for Microsoft SQL Server 2016.
After deploying Microsoft® SQL Server 2016 I would recommend immediately patching to 13.00.1708 by applying the MSVCRT patch. (Unless planning to apply a later CU or SP)
- Critical update for SQL Server 2016 MSVCRT prerequisites
This ODBC patch is needed to stop SQL Agent connection issues and “Failed to open loopback connection” issues.
- SQL Server 2016 Agent fails to start or “Failed to retrieve data” error when you try to read error log from SSMS 2016 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3185365
Then deploy the most up to date patch:
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 RTM Latest Cumulative Update
- On-demand hotfix update package for SQL Server 2016 CU2 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3195813
- Cumulative Update 2 for SQL Server 2016
- Cumulative Update 1 for SQL Server 2016